Grand River Hospital provides a short stay, assessment and stabilization adult inpatient unit to assess and treat individuals who are 19 years and older, who require the intensity and 24-hour support of a hospital setting. This unit is located at the hospital's KW Site at 835 King Street West in Kitchener.
Details on our services are as follows:
For patients and families, please read our patient information page.
- Treatment teams may include occupational therapists, pharmacists, psychologists, psychiatrists, registered nurses, registered practical nurses, spiritual care staff and social workers;
- Other staff may include clerical staff, students and volunteers;
- 24-hour nursing and supportive care;
- Assessment and treatment;
- Short-term interventions, individual and group programming to stabilize crises;
- Individual and family support;
- Discharge planning; and
- Referrals as needed.
Visiting hours are as follows:
Monday to Friday 3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 1:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
In certain circumstances, staff may restrict visiting privileges, or individuals may not be up for a visit, or you may need to inquire about visiting outside regular visiting hours. Calling in advance can save you time: 519-749-4300, ext 2313.
Patients are given a ‘privacy code’ number which they may share with a couple of people to serve as family spokespeople. When your family and friends call, they will be asked for the patient name and privacy code number. This lets staff know that you have given your permission to share general health information about you. Even without the code, staff may confirm your presence and disclose your location, unless you say not to.
If you would like to bring a gift, it is best to check with staff first if it is allowed or is not recommended. Expensive gifts are not recommended. Some gifts may be ‘unsafe’ for the individual or other patients.
Location and contact information:
The adult inpatient mental health unit is located on the first floor of the hospital’s F wing, which is accessible from the main entrance. Our nursing station number is 519-749-4300 ext. 2313.