Skip to Content

share feedback print font size font shrink font grow youtube facebook twitter donate

FAQs: patient accounts and cashier

Where do I pay my bill?
Cashier offices at both our Freeport and KW Sites are able to process your payment during regular business hours.

You can pay your bill by:
  • Telephone personal banking (at your home bank);
  • By mail;
  • Online banking (through your home bank website); or
  • In person at our cashier office.

Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4pm. The offices are closed on the weekends and all statutory holidays.

What are some of the services that I can expect to receive a bill for?
The Ministry of Health does not pay for all services and items related to your health care. Some of the items that you can expect to pay directly for are:
  • Preferred accommodation (semi-private or private rooms);
  • Assistive devices such as crutches, slings, foam walkers, cast, braces;
  • Cosmetic surgeries;
  • De-listed procedures;
  • Ambulance rides; and/or
  • Chronic care copayments.

What if my billing to OHIP is rejected due to a problem with my health card?
Every effort is made prior to the registration to ensure your health card is valid. However, some billings do get rejected by OHIP due to incorrect health card information or wrong version codes.

When this occurs fees will be billed directly to the patient. Once updated information is provided to our office, we will re-submit the claim if it is within six months of the service date.

How do I update my health card or version code?
If you did not have your health card information with you at the time of registration, please call 519-749-4300 ext. 2352 to provide your updated information. If it is a problem with your health coverage, you will need to contact the OHIP office first.

My insurance company has sent me a questionnaire. What should I do?
Please be aware that many insurance companies send out questionnaires and this is fairly standard in the insurance industry. The questionnaire will need to be completed and returned before your insurance claim will be paid. If you require assistance in completing the form, please call 519-749-4300 ext. 2352.

Who do I make my cheque payable to?
All cheques can be made payable to Grand River Hospital.

If I have an expired health card, what do I do?
If your card has expired, this means you have no OHIP coverage and charges will be billed directly to you. You will need to go to the OHIP office and renew your coverage.

The local Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (OHIP) office is located as follows:
1400 Weber Street East
Kitchener, ON

Please call our office when you have your new health card or version code.

What if I am a non-resident of Canada?
If you are a non-resident of Canada and admitted to the hospital, a claim will be forwarded to your travel insurance on your behalf. If you have no insurance the bill will be sent directly to you.

For non-residents that are seen as outpatients, the patient will need to forward the claim to their insurance for payment or re-imbursement.
Copyright © 2009. Grand River Hospital. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

BIN # 88918 0394 RR 0001  |  Created by Blue Lemon Media