GRH privacy and access office
P.O Box 9056, 835 King St. West
Kitchener, ON N2G 1G3
The efficient and effective operation of health care facilities is based on the availability of accurate, timely and complete information. This links clinical, financial and administrative data, for clinical and administrative decision-making, while facilitating the privacy and confidentiality of the clinical information in the hospital.
Privacy and access office mission
The primary mandate of the privacy and access office is to establish standards of privacy, confidentiality, data security and freedom of information. The privacy and access office seeks to protect the personal health information of our patients as required by the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and to promote the openness and transparency of hospital information as required under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
Our chief privacy officer and privacy and access team are educated and trained to provide privacy and access guidance in the healthcare field. The office also acts as a resource for privacy and access information, issues on policy development, education for staff, patients, affiliates, and visitors.
- To ensure the privacy of all personal information including health information and to be certain that GRH staff are fully trained and aware of the legislative requirements
- To provide accurate, timely and complete responses to breach of confidentiality and/or privacy related questions and concerns from GRH staff, patients, and affiliates
- To continually improve and develop privacy and access policies and procedures
- To maintain a balanced culture of privacy and access best practice throughout GRH
- To promote openness and transparency in the spirit of relevant access legislation