You are an important member of the care team. You can help by sharing information you feel is important, by speaking to the treatment team and asking questions that you may have.
You can contact the unit by calling the nursing station at: 519-749-4300, ext. 2313.
Patients are given a ‘privacy code’ number which they may share with a couple of people to serve as family spokespeople. When you call you will be asked for the patient name and privacy code number. This lets staff know that you have been given the patient’s permission to share general health information with you.
- Monday to Friday 3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 1:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
In certain circumstances, staff may restrict visiting privileges, or individuals may not be up for a visit, or you may need to inquire about visiting outside regular visiting hours. Calling in advance can save you time: 519-749-4300, ext. 2313.
The safety of everyone (patients, visitors and our team) is our priority. We have many different supports and procedures that we use to ensure everyone’s safety. Here are some of them:
- The unit is locked. Access in and out of the unit is granted by a staff member.
- Visitors identify themselves prior to entrance to the unit and must sign in/out at the reception desk.
- Do not bring items that are considered potentially unsafe or dangerous (i.e. sharps, plastic bags, belts, cords).
- If you would like to bring a gift, it is best to check with staff first if it is allowed or is not recommended. Expensive gifts are not recommended. Some gifts may be ‘unsafe’ for the individual or other patients.
- Wash your hands regularly. Good hand hygiene helps control the spread of infectious diseases.
We can all contribute to a safe environment. If you feel uncomfortable, feel there is an issue that is unsafe for you or for others or have a suggestion, please let the care team know.
The family navigator is a person who has lived through the experience of supporting someone with mental health issues.The family navigator can help you by providing support, information and resources. A family navigator can’t make decisions about care, or discuss your family member’s specific illness or treatment plan.
To contact the family navigator or to learn more about family education meetings, support groups or community resources please call: 519-749-4300 extension 5888.