It starts here in Waterloo Region!
Waterloo Region is home to more than half a million people and is one of Canada’s fastest growing communities. Kitchener-Waterloo proper is the fourth largest city in Ontario home nestled conveniently between Toronto, London and Hamilton, all only a short driving distance away.
The region is built on a rich history and known for its technical innovation. Whether you're a busy professional, a parent with a young family or a retiree, Waterloo Region has a neighbourhood to suit your taste and style from an urban city metropolitan lifestyle to a scenic rural way of life.
Ranked by Money Sense (2015) as the 16th best place to live in Canada for a superb quality of life, high employment and low cost of living just outside the GTA, Waterloo Region is a community that is growing at an exceptional rate. A diverse ethnic mosaic paired with exceptional educational, cultural and recreational facilities make the Kitchener-Waterloo region a vibrant place to live, work and play.
Here are some of the benefits to life in Waterloo Region:
- Waterloo Region is an affordable place to live, with a total cost of living substantially lower than international, national and Ontario averages. With salaries and wages comparable to Ottawa and Toronto combined with lower housing costs, owning a home and affordable housing is entirely within reach.
- The region has a diversified economy, with plenty of employment opportunities.
- Over 80 per cent of employees in Waterloo Region live within 30 minutes of their workplace.
- Bike routes, walking trails and easy urban transit make travelling within the region a pleasure. Travelling to the GTA is easy and convenient too, only a short distance away via Hwy 401, or the daily GO train or VIA Rail service. International travel is also easy and convenient with daily flights out of the Region of Waterloo International Airport.
- With 22 golf courses, six conservation areas, 3,000 acres of parkland, the region offers a range of natural and recreational activities.
- Waterloo Region is home to the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University as well as the award winning Conestoga College. University of Waterloo and the City of Kitchener were pivotal in establishing the new health sciences campus - home to the UW School of Pharmacy - and is positioned to become an innovative centre focused on medicine and health that will infuse education, diagnostics, treatment, research, and commercial applications in dramatic new ways. Also close by are Hamilton’s McMaster University and the University of Guelph.
- Waterloo Region offers a wide range of activities, shopping and dining for all ages. We have several museums and family friendly attractions for everyone to enjoy and the region also boasts state of the art athletic facilities. For those music and art lovers, we have the KW Symphony and many theatre and art venues throughout the region. For shopping lovers, the region also boasts the popular St. Jacobs’ Farmers Market, the largest year round farmer’s market in Canada.
- Each season is filled with exciting events and festivals such as the world renowned Oktoberfest, Kitchener Blues Festival, Uptown Waterloo Jazz Festival, Wonders of Winter and the Waterloo Busker Festival.
The following sites may be helpful if you are planning to relocate to the Kitchener-Waterloo Region. Links open in a new window.
- The City of Waterloo
- The City of Kitchener
- Explore Waterloo Region
- City of Kitchener Visitor Information Centre
- Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
- KW Kids
- Canadian Relocation Systems
- The Real Estate Book
- The Waterloo Region Record Newspaper’s website
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- Waterloo EDC
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- University of Waterloo
- Conestoga College
- Region of Waterloo International Airport