The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) provides a right of access to the records held by public bodies, with certain exceptions, you may see and obtain copies of records from GRH.
FIPPA also protects your personal information. It establishes rules for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by public bodies. It gives you the right to access your own personal information and to correct any information that public bodies hold about you.
Under FIPPA you may do the following:
What records does FIPPA apply to?
The Act applies to any records that are in the custody and control of GRH, however certain records are excluded from the Act including:
- Personal health information and personal information
- Private donations to the hospital
- Labour relations and employment related records
- Research and teaching materials
- Quality of Care Information Protection Act (QCIPA) information
For more information on what records are exempt or excluded from the scope of FIPPA please click here.
What can be requested?
Under FIPPA you have the right to request access to information held by government organizations including the hospital. This information may appear on paper, microfilm or computer disk and includes things such as photographs and maps. Under FIPPA individuals also have a right to access and request correction of their own personal information held by government organizations. To request access to corporate records or to your personal information please fill out a FIPPA request form.How to make a request under FIPPA
The information you are seeking may already be available at GRH without need of submitting a formal request under FIPPA. Please contact the privacy and access office to see what records are already publicly accessible.
If you wish to make a formal request under FIPPA please follow these instructions:
- All requests must be in writing and be accompanied by $5 (application fee)
- Please make cheques payable to Grand River Hospital Corporation
2. Bring the application to the health information management department (1D57), (please feel free to call us for directions) OR send the application to the privacy and access office at the below address:
GRH privacy and access office
P.O. Box 9056, 835 King St. West
Kitchener, ON, N2G 1G3