Update: Applications will be available for the 2020 summer student program beginning February 3rd 2020. Applications will close April 3rd at 4:00pm. We encourage you to apply early as placements fill up quickly.
We also continue to accept applications for our regular volunteer program which requires a minimum six month commitment. Please review the Volunteer opportunities section of the website to determine if you plan to volunteer at the KW Campus (General Hospital), KW Campus (Cancer Centre), or our Freeport Campus.
General information about the summer student program
Our summer student program offers an opportunity to learn about health care, acquire and develop new skills and complete 40-hour community service requirements. Students play an integral role in helping to enhance patient care and services to our patients and their families and staff. We recruit over a hundred students for the summer program and spots fill up quickly.
What are the requirements to become a summer student volunteer?
- Students must be 16 years or older at the start of their volunteer placement;
- The Summer program requires a commitment of two (2) shifts per week. Shifts average three to four hours in length.
- University/college volunteer placements can begin as early as May and run until the end of August;
- High school student placements are in July and August;
- If you are planning a summer vacation or have other commitments that will prevent you from attending weekly, please do not sign up to volunteer. We count on our students to be available every week during the summer months.
- Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you to schedule an interview. Interviews must be completed by April 24th. Interviews are scheduled during business hours, Monday to Friday.
- For placements starting in May, all requirements must be completed by April 24th.
- For placements starting in July, all requirements must be completed by June 19th.
- All applicants must attend a General Orientation session, dates will be provided during your interview.
- The volunteer application process can take eight to ten weeks to complete. including the health review, TB testing, police check, and general orientation. It is your responsibility to ensure you have completed these requirements by the program start date.
- Cancer Centre volunteers must attend additional education and training sessions.
We are looking for students who are:
- Independent and self-motivated
- Responsible, dependable and punctual
- Compassionate, flexible and good team players
- Able to providing excellent patient and customer service.