We are currently accepting applicants for our summer student program for 2018. Information sessions are being held in March and April. Sessions are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, March 14th from 10:00am to 11:00am
- Wednesday, March 28th from 10:00am to 11:00am
- Thursday, April 12th from 3:00pm to 4:00pm
Please complete an online application form and we will contact you to invite you to an information session.
You may submit an online application form by following the “becoming a volunteer” links, reviewing the different campus locations, and completing an application form for the appropriate campus. When completing the application, please ensure you list “Summer Student Program” in the volunteer opportunity preference section of the application, along with your availability and preferred volunteer role. Please review our website thoroughly so you are familiar with the different campuses and volunteer programs. Only one application will be accepted, please do not apply to more than one campus. Once we receive your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. Deadline for applications is April 20th 2018, applications will not be accepted after April 20th 2018.
Our summer student program offers an opportunity to learn about health care, acquire and develop new skills and complete 40-hour community service requirements. Students play an integral role in helping to enhance patient care and services to our patients and their families and staff. We recruit over a hundred students for the summer program and spots fill up quickly.
What are the requirements to become a summer student volunteer?
- Students must be 16 years or older at the start of their volunteer placement;
- They must commit to two (2) shifts per week. Shifts average three to four hours in length;
- University/college volunteer placements can begin as early as May and run until the end of August;
- High school student placements are in July and August;
- If you are planning a summer vacation or have other commitments that will prevent you from attending weekly, please do not sign up to volunteer. We count on our students to be available every week during the summer months;
- Volunteer applicants must complete all volunteer requirements by June 15th, including the health review and TB testing, so you can be ready to start on July 3rd. The volunteer application process can take eight to ten weeks to complete;
- Cancer centre volunteers must attend additional education and training sessions; and
- We encourage you to register for an information session.
We are looking for students who are:
- Dedicated to completing the volunteer process;
- Responsible, dependable and punctual;
- Compassionate, flexible and good team players; and
- Believe in providing excellent patient/customer service.
Reminder: important dates
- The summer program runs from July 3rd to September 2nd inclusive, you are committing to attend for all of July & August (some students may start in May).
- Information sessions are held on March 14th, March 28th and April 12th
- The deadline for applications is April 20th. Applications will not be accepted after April 20th.