A role model. A genuine and trusting person. Respectful of the whole patient, their wishes and wants.
Those were some of the words describing Dr. Phil Kowtecky as he won Grand River Hospital’s May award of excellence.
Dr. Kowtecky has deep roots in Waterloo Region. He was born at GRH and raised in the community. After completed his degree in nursing, he worked in the St. Mary’s General Hospital intensive care unit for two years.
He then enrolled in medical school, completing his education at McMaster University’s Waterloo Region Campus and receiving hands on training in local hospitals. He now works in GRH’s medicine program as a hospitalist.
Dr. Kowtecky’s nominator wrote:
- There are no words to describe all of his exceptional attributes. He takes extra time with patients, family and colleagues, he listens and truly cares;
- He is an exceptional problem solver, incorporating and consulting all the departments providing the whole care path of the patient. He demonstrates exceptional communication to the entire team and patients, taking the time to educate staff and to listen to all aspects;
- He is always friendly and approachable. Dr. Kowtecky is involved, he checks in frequently on the team and patients;
- He speaks to people as their friend regardless of just meeting and he always has the best interests of the patient. He is positive and brings out the best possible side of people; and
- He respects the nursing team and his colleagues as well as his patients and their families.
Congratulations to Dr. Kowtecky and thank you very much for your exceptional patient care!