What questions should I ask my health care team?
Since radiation therapy is very specific to each person, you may want to ask your care team the following questions along with a list of your own:
- What are the benefits and risks of having radiation therapy?
- How successful is this treatment when it is given for the type of cancer I have?
- How long will my radiation therapy last?
- How often will I receive treatments and how long will each treatment session be?
- Will I feel anything during treatment and how will I feel afterwards?
- Will I be able to work while I am having radiation therapy?
- Will I need other treatment along with radiation therapy?
Other questions you may want to ask can also be found in the booklet by the Canadian Cancer Society called "Radiation Therapy: A guide for people with cancer", which you will receive at your initial consultation. To review the booklet in advance click here.
Feel free to print this page and bring it with you to your consultation for radiation therapy treatment.