Our summer student program offers an opportunity to learn about health care, acquire and develop new skills and complete 40-hour community service requirements. Students play an integral role in helping to enhance patient care and services to our patients and their families and staff. We recruit over a hundred students for the summer program and spots fill up quickly.
For 2016 potential volunteers, please note you must register for an information session
- February 24th from 3:30pm-4:30pm
- March 15th from 9:30am-10:30am
- April 13th from 3:30pm-4:30pm.
You must be available to attend a mandatory 3 hour training session.
- May 5th from 9:30am-12:30pm
- June 8th from 3:30pm-6:30pm.
The deadline to complete the health requirements and provide your police record check is Friday, June 3rd. If you have completed the health requirements from the hospital's occupational health office by this date, your placement(s) will not be guaranteed and you may not be able to volunteer.
What are the requirements to become a summer student volunteer?
We are looking for students who are:
- Students must be 16 years or older at the start of their volunteer placement;
- They must commit to two (2) shifts per week. Shifts average three to four hours in length:
- University/college volunteer placements can begin as early as May until the end of August; and
- High school student placements are in July and August;
- If you are planning a summer vacation or have other commitments that will prevent you from attending weekly, please do not sign up to volunteer. We count on our students to be available every week during the summer months;
- Must attend a two-and-a-half hour information session and complete all volunteer requirements. The volunteer process takes four to six weeks to complete; and
- Cancer centre volunteers must attend additional education and training sessions.
How do I apply?
- Dedicated to completing the volunteer process;
- Responsible, dependable and punctual;
- Compassionate, flexible and good team players; and
- Believe in providing excellent patient/customer service.
- Please contact us to register for an information session.
- Telephone: 519-749-4300 ext. 2613