In addition to the information from the Canadian Cancer Society, the website has some specific information on taking care of your health now that your treatments have finished. It can be confusing knowing what to eat and how to get active once your treatment is over. The American Institute of Cancer Research’s (AICR) Guidelines for Cancer Survivors has 8 recommendations to reduce your cancer risk through diet, physical activity and healthy weight. 


Nutrition services in Waterloo Region

In addition to the Canadian Cancer Society resource “Life after Cancer Treatment”,  information on nutrition services, resources and programs available in Waterloo Region includes:

  • Private practice dietitian services
  • Loblaw grocery store Registered Dietitian Services
  • Nutrition education materials
    • EatRight Ontario at 1-877-510-5102. You can  speak directly with a Registered Dietitian
    • EatRight Ontario ( Information and advice on healthy eating
    • Dietitians of Canada ( Tools to assess your lifestyle, recipes and nutrition resources
    • Public Health Resource Centre

Nutrition resources

Nutrition resources in Waterloo Region (opens in new tab)

American Institute for Cancer Research Nutrition & the Cancer Survivor (opens in new tab)

The American Cancer Society offers common lifestyle information for cancer survivors (opens in new tab)


We all know that regular exercise is a part of a healthy lifestyle. 

Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines and Canadian Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines Handbook helps you with adding physical activity to your lifestyle plan.


We recommend the Canadian Cancer Society’s booklet “Cancer and Sexuality” to help you understand how a cancer diagnosis can impact your sexuality.

Be Smoke-Free

This section helps you with resources to help you become a non-smoker:

Smokers Helpline Booklet "For smokers who want to quit" A booklet with information and tools to help guide and support you on your journey to becoming smoke-free.

Smokers' Helpline Booklet "For Smokers who don't want to quit" A booklet for people not ready to quit smoking, this booklet has activities and information that help you understand why you smoke and how it affects you and your loved ones.

Smokers' Helpline Booklet "Help a smoker quit" Tools and strategies for anyone who wants to support a smoker on their quit journey.

Free support for quitting smoking Smokers’ Helpline is available 7 days a week, by text, online or by telephone in over 100 different languages.

Workshops offering free nicotine patches Sponsored by the Ministry of Health, workshops are held in communities across Ontario. Participants must call to be screened and register, those who are eligible and attend can receive 5 weeks of nicotine patch free of charge.

Dealing with Practical Issues

For many people, worries about practical issues such as income loss, unexpected extra expenses, medication costs, and even returning to work concerns can linger long after cancer treatment has ended. Help is available.

Income Resources:


Contact the Human Resources at your workplace to see what they require if you will not be returning to work, and what disability benefits are available.

Government Plans that Require a Contribution:

Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefit:

  • Available to those who are unable to work due to illness or injury;
  • Coverage for 15 weeks (55% of earnings up to a maximum);
  • No drug coverage provided;
  • Must have worked at least 600 hours in the last 52 weeks;
  • Apply online or in person at your local Service Canada Office. or 1-800-206-7218.

Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP-D):

  • Eligibility criteria: between ages of 18-65, severe and prolonged health condition, paid into CPP for 4 out of past 6 years or paid into CPP for 25 yrs and contributed 3 of the last 6 yrs (some exceptions to this exist)
  • Benefit amount dependent on contributions made
  • No drug coverage provided
  • Apply by mail or in person (Service Canada Office)  or 1-800-277-9914.

               K-W..................... Market Square, 25 Frederick St., Kitchener

               Cambridge........... 350 Conestoga Boulevard, Unit C2, Cambridge

               Guelph................ 259 Woodlawn Rd., Guelph                                    

Goverment Provided Income Support:

Ontario Works:

  • Available to people requiring emergency financial assistance or may be used as a “bridge” while waiting for other sources of income;
  • Eligibility based on income and assets;
  • Drug, dental, vision, special diet benefits;
  • Apply in person or over the phone.

               K-W…………………………. 519-883-2100....... 99 Regina Street S, Waterloo

               Cambridge……………….. 519 740-5700...... 150 Main St. Cambridge

               Wellington County…… 519-837-2670...... 129 Wyndham St. N. Guelph

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP):

  • Similar to Ontario Works eligibility (see above);
  • Illness must be prolonged and severe.  or 1-877-832-2818             

Contact ODSP:

                 K-W.......... ……………….519-886-4700...715 Fischer Hallman Rd, Unit 301, Kitchener

                 Cambridge……………….519-623-1230...73 Water St. N. Suite 400, Cambridge

                 Guelph..... ……………….519-822-7500...86 Gordon St. Guelph

Region of Waterloo Community Services

  •   Financial assistance to cover food, shelter, clothing & other household items. 519-575-4400

Drug Coverage:


Contact the Human Resources department at your work place to inquire if ongoing medication expense  coverage is available to you.

Government Provided Program - Trillium Drug Program (TDP):

You can register in the Trillium Drug Program if:

  • You have a valid Ontario health card 
  • You do not have private insurance coverage or if your private insurance does not cover 100% of your prescription drug costs.

Trillium application kits are available from the pharmacy at the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre or by calling 1-800-575-5386 or online at

Return to Work/School:

The B.C Cancer Agency has a practical guide for cancer patients on Cancer and returning to work.