On February 18th, Grand River Hospital, in consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, has declared outbreak of COVID-19 on 5North, part of its stroke program. On February 19th, the outbreak was expanded to include 5South of the medicine program.
All affected patients and staff are being contacted.
The hospital has also implemented the following:
- Enhanced surveillance to identify potential cases and follow-up investigations;
- More frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces;
- Cohorting staff as much as possible;
- Education of patients and families about COVID-19 hospital protocols;
- Continually reviewing our practices and implementing new measures as required, as part of our ongoing risk assessments;
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit;
- Temporarily suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.
More information will be provided as the situation develops.
For more information, please contact:
Cheryl Evans, Manager, Communications and Engagement
Cell: (226) 749-0689