For the weeks of May 8th, 15th and 22nd, GrandLinq will conduct quality assurance work on the ION light rail line on King Street West between Wellington and Union. For all of the phases:
- Work will happen in the evenings and overnight, from 5pm to 7am;
- Access to GRH’s KW Campus will be maintained, although detours will be required;
- Emergency medical services vehicles will have full access to King Street despite lane closures;
- Work may be completed in stages, so general access along the length of the street is not assured; and
- Intersections will remain open.
Here’s what will happen for each phase:
On or about May 8th to 12th: King Street West, local access only to north lane (toward Waterloo) from Wellington to Union streets.
If you are coming to the hospital, we suggest you take Union Street to King and access GRH’s KW Campus via the south lane (heading to downtown Kitchener). The best detour for traffic leaving the hospital or the Rotary parking lot is Green Street to Park.
On or about May 15th to 19th: King Street West, local access only to south lane from Wellington to Union streets (except in front of GRH)
If you are coming to the hospital from Kitchener, we advise you to take Wellington to King, turn right and proceed to the hospital.
If you are coming from Waterloo, you may have to go to Park, Mount Hope and then King Street eastbound to access the hospital. Flag people will help direct traffic into the hospital while work takes place for this phase
The best detour for traffic leaving the hospital or the Rotary parking lot is Green Street to Park.
On or about May 22nd to 26th: King Street West: work in intersections
King Street will be open as crews focus their work in intersections. Flag people will help direct traffic into the hospital while this phase takes place.