Grand River Hospital, in consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, has declared the COVID-19 outbreak on 5South (clinical teaching unit) over. The hospital continues to monitor the outbreak on 5North.
In outbreak situations, the hospital immediately implements the following enhanced protocols:
- Increased surveillance to identify potential cases and follow-up investigations;
- More frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces;
- Cohorting staff as much as possible;
- Education of patients and families about COVID-19 hospital protocols;
- Continually reviewing our practices and implementing new measures as required, as part of our ongoing risk assessments;
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit;
- Temporarily suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.