In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, Grand River Hospital has declared a COVID-19 outbreak on 5North with two patients and two staff members affected. The hospital is also still monitoring an active outbreak on 5South. Outbreaks on the 5th floor (including an outbreak on 5Centre, declared over on December 14th) have impacted 11 patients and 17 staff members to date, including fewer than 5 patient deaths.
In outbreak situations, the hospital immediately implements the following enhanced protocols:
- Increased surveillance to identify potential cases and follow-up investigations;
- More frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces;
- Cohorting staff as much as possible;
- Education of patients and families about COVID-19 hospital protocols;
- Continually reviewing our practices and implementing new measures as required, as part of our ongoing risk assessments;
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit;
- Temporarily suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.