A hospital outbreak is declared when two or more patients and/or staff test positive for a respiratory illness that was acquired in hospital within a timeframe that is consistent with the epidemiology of the disease, and when there is a link between the cases.
The outbreak has been contained to 6N and S, with additional precautions implemented to ensure increased safety of all:
- Enhanced surveillance
- Additional high-touch cleaning
- Face shields/eye protection for staff when patients won’t wear a mask
- Suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.
- Investigating opportunities to cohort staff and patients to support continued operations.
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit.
The hospital has reached out to patients and staff who may have been at risk of exposure. We wish these patients and staff a safe and speedy recovery.
The safety and wellbeing of our staff, providers and patients is our top priority.