A hospital outbreak is declared when two or more patients and/or staff test positive for a respiratory illness that was acquired in hospital within a timeframe that is consistent with the epidemiology of the disease, and when there is a link between the cases.
The outbreak has been contained to 8B, with additional precautions implemented:
- Enhanced surveillance
- Additional high-touch cleaning
- Face shields/eye protection for staff when patients won’t wear a mask
- Suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.
- Investigating opportunities to cohort staff and patients to support continued operations.
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit where possible.
The hospital has reached out to patients and staff who may have been at risk of exposure. We wish these patients and staff a safe and speedy recovery.
Please continue to follow Public Health guidance to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The safety and wellbeing of our staff, providers and patients is our top priority.