All of the units within the Children’s and Childbirth program are locked for the safety and security of our patients.
Entry to the unit
To enter the unit, you must first pick-up the phone outside the childbirth program doors and identify yourself. Staff will allow entrance to partners, support persons and visitors as per our visiting policy.
When your baby is born, you, your support person, and your baby receive matching armbands. These armbands are checked (to make sure they match) when you receive them, any time a procedure or test is done and at staff shift change. Please keep your armband on until you go home.
It is important for us to know who is on the unit at all times. To assist us with this, we ask that when you enter or leave the unit, if someone follows you through the door, ask them to check-in at the front desk or inform a staff member if the person does not check in. All visitors (excluding parents/guardians) are required to check in and out at the front desk.
We also ask for your help to keep your baby safe:
- Keep the door to your room closed;
- Never leave your baby alone in your room. If you have to use the washroom and your support person isn't in your room with you, please take your baby with you in the bassinet;
- Make sure all GRH team members who enter your room have and show their proper Grand River Hospital identification badge;
- Keep your baby on the fourth floor until it is time to go home;
- Should your baby need to go for a test or an appointment, you or your support person can accompany the baby off the unit with the nurse. When the baby is returned to you, the nurse will check that your armband and the baby's armband match;
- Any time your baby leaves the room, please ensure that the baby is in the bassinet. This is to reduce the risk of falls; and
- Pull the call bell immediately if you have any questions about your safety or that of your baby.