Ontario’s Excellent Care for All Act requires hospitals to have a Patient Declaration of Values.
The Patient and Family Advisory Committee of the Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network developed the statement. Their work included collaboration with 20 other patient and family groups from across the region, including representatives from all local hospitals. Grand River Hospital's Board of Directors endorsed the statement at its January 2019 meeting.
The Waterloo Wellington Patient Declaration of Values states that patients can expect their health care to include:
- Patient-centred care that understands you are a whole person; treats you with compassion and respect; and includes your family and support system in your care.
- A partnership with your care provider that shares responsibility and accountability with you; provides care and support to achieve your health goals; and considers all your health needs, connecting you to health and community services.
- Communication that allows you to be heard in a safe and caring environment; provides clear health information that you can understand; and shares open and transparent information with you and your care teams.
- Equitable care that puts your needs first regardless of your situation; eliminates barriers to receiving timely and safe services; and is free of prejudice, stigma and judgment.
- Continuous improvement in health care that provides you with access to the best quality of care; increases access to new innovative technology and treatments; and contributes to your confidence and trust in the health system.