It takes an exceptional care team to help children who are hospitalized with mental health needs.
The hard work and dedication of Grand River Hospital’s child and adolescent inpatient mental health unit team was made clear as the group won the hospital’s latest award of excellence.
The team has 30 staff members including a combination of registered nurses and registered practical nurses, child psychiatrists, clinical secretaries, musical therapists, child and youth workers as well as social workers.
Their nominator recognized the team for meeting the hospital’s values of collaboration, compassion, innovation, positive attitude, professionalism and respect:
- The inpatient team has embraced a collaborative approach that is truly interdisciplinary. No single person is considered to be "the expert".
- Everyone's voice is respected. They work hard as a regional program with their partner hospitals, schools and community providers to make sure there is a very collaborative plan for the young people with whom they work.
- This team has created a culture of positive attitude and nurturing. The energy is reinforced with the most simple interactions, from a cheery hello to caring words of support when the day's work is difficult.
- Team members continue to examine the services provided to young patients and challenge themselves to continuously improve those services. It is a wonderful experience to listen to them work together to provide the best possible care for their child/youth patients.
- This team is always looking at new ways to be current with this population... whether it’s in the classroom or helping young people access mental health apps on their cell phones after they leave the hospital.
- This team strives to provide respectful interactions to everyone they work with. On any given day, they may be required to re-organize their day to adjust their time to meet patient care needs. They strive to have respectful conversations with each other that are sometimes difficult but nonetheless important.
Congratulations to GRH’s child and adolescent impatient mental health team, and thank you for all of your hard work with young patients, families as well as community partners in mental health!