Grand River Hospital, in consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, has declared a retroactive outbreak of COVID-19 on 5 Centre, part of its medicine program. The hospital has been actively monitoring the situation with support from public health. These cases were identified through additional contact tracing.
“We are focusing on implementing additional precautions to contain the spread and protect the health and wellness of both our patients and staff,” says Bonnie Camm, Executive Vice President, Clinical Services at Grand River Hospital. “We will continue to provide additional support where needed and be diligent in adhering to COVID precautions.”
The hospital has also implemented the following:
- Enhanced surveillance to identify potential cases and follow-up investigations;
- More frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces;
- Cohorting staff as much as possible;
- Education of patients and families about COVID-19 hospital protocols;
- Continually reviewing our practices and implementing new measures as required, as part of our ongoing risk assessments;
- Temporarily closing admissions to the unit;
- Temporarily suspending in person care partner visits to the unit and working to enhance virtual and phone connections for our patients and families.
More information will be provided as the situation develops.
For more information, please contact:
Cheryl Evans, Manager, Communications and Engagement
Cell: (226) 749-0689