The safety of everyone (you, other patients and our team) is our priority. We can all contribute to a safe environment. If you feel uncomfortable, feel there is an issue that is unsafe for you or for others, experience an injury of any kind or have a suggestion, please let your care team know.
We have many different supports and procedures that we use to ensure everyone’s safety. Here are some of them:
Access and gathering
- The unit is locked. Access in and out of the unit is granted by a staff member.
- Visitors identify themselves prior to entrance to the unit and must sign in/out at the reception desk.
- Patients may socialize in common areas only. No patient is to be in another patient’s room. There is to be no physical contact with other patients.
- All patients with self-harm scars and/or wounds must have these covered by clothing at all times in public areas on the unit.
We encourage you to bring:
- Any medications you are taking;
- Personal toiletries (for example, brush, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, feminine hygiene products);
- A three or four-day wardrobe of casual, comfortable clothing;
- Sleepwear (for example, robe, pajamas or gown);
- Comfortable non-slip shoes or running shoes and non-slip slippers. Non-slip shoes are to help prevent falls;
- Assistive devices such as eyeglasses, cane, walker, hearing aid;
- Reading material, writing paper, small hobby supplies (except sharp objects like scissors or sewing needles ).
- I-pods and mp3 players may be allowed so long as the devices do not have a camera or wi-fi capability.
What not to bring:
While some of the items listed below may seem a little silly to you, we want to create a safe space for ALL our patients. You will not be allowed to bring any of these items with you onto the unit:
- Alcohol and/or drugs are not permitted;
- No hats, scarves, bandanas, or revealing clothing are permitted.
- Aerosol cans;
- Rubbing alcohol or mouthwash;
- Any vitamins or supplements not prescribed by a physician at GRH;
- Plastic bags;
- Anything sharp (i.e.. Razors, glass, scissors, sharp metals, pins);
- Belts, shoe laces, cords, draw strings on hoodies and track pants;
- Bras with underwire;
- Necklaces, watches, rings;
- Cigarettes or lighters;
- Cell phones, cameras, tablets;
- Body piercings may be removed, including earrings, and all metal piercings; and
- Anything else the care team considers to be potentially unsafe.
- Staff will check belongings on admission, when you return from time off the unit and periodically throughout your stay;
- Most rooms have a secured locker where you can store a limited amount of your personal belongings;
- Room and bathroom checks are done regularly;
- All valuables should be sent home. We cannot take responsibility for lost, broken, or stolen belongings; and
- Do not to borrow others’ or lend your own belongings to others during your admission.