Notice: COVID tests are by appointment only. Please visit https://covidtestregistration.grhosp.on.ca/ to book.
Please note: We do not provide the COVID test required for travel, social events or asymptomatic testing for unvaccinated individuals. Please visit participating pharmacies and clinics.
Information for all
Effective September 24, 2020: Ontarians should only seek testing at assessment centres if you are:
- Showing COVID-19 symptoms;
- Have been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus, as informed by your public health unit or exposure notification through the COVID Alert app;
- A resident or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by your local public health unit; and
- Eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative directed by the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
Please go to the Region of Waterloo Public Health website for more information about COVID-19 symptoms, and complete the self-assessment tool. Click here for the link [opens a new window]. If you are unable to leave your home for testing due to a medical condition, speak to your health care provider or call an assessment centre.
All patients with positive results will be contacted by Public Health, otherwise please follow up with your family physician.
To access your COVID-19 test results (for those with a valid Ontario Health card):
- Go to Ontario.ca/covid19 [will open in new window]
- Click on “Check your lab results” on the right side of the page.
- Fill in the information required. You will need a valid (green) Ontario health card.
- Select “Verify patient” and follow the instructions.
- For those without a valid Ontario health card, staff will let you know how you can access your results.
When will I get my results? Most tests (approximately 85%) are completed within 48 hours, however it can take up to 72-96 hours depending on the volume of tests that need to be completed.
Grand River Hospital COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing Centre - 15 Charles St. W, Kitchener
Map [opens in a new window]
*We do not provide the COVID test required for travel, social events or asymptomatic testing for unvaccinated individuals. Please visit participating pharmacies and clinics.*
Hours of operation: 7:00 a.m. to 6:45 p.m., 7 days a week
Testing is by appointment only. Click here to book a same-day COVID test. [opens new window]
NOTE: You must register each person being tested separately.
- Grand River Hospital’s COVID drive thru test centre is located at Charles and Ontario Streets (15 Charles Street W Kitchener, N2G 1H3 - the old bus terminal).
- It is accessible by Grand River Transit. The closest ION LRT stops are Victoria Park (301 Fairway) or Kitchener City Hall (301 Conestoga) and bus route 7.
- There is an entrance for pedestrians off of Charles St and a vehicle entrance for the drive-thru off of Ontario St.
- The clinic may close at times due to poor weather - if this happens, we will post the information here and on Facebook and Twitter. If there is lightning, we will close, and reopen after the lightning has passed.
- If you do not have an Ontario health card: please fill out this form and send to Grand River Hospital's health information management department by fax at 519-749-4311, or by scanning and emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your results released. This form is necessary to release health information.
- GRH offers the Oral (Buccal)/ Nasal Swab starting. Children under 12 that qualify for a swab as per Public Health Guidelines will be eligible for the swab if requested by parents. The preferred swab for Covid testing continues to be Nasopharyngeal swab.
- Health care workers:
- GRH/SMGH staff please contact call 226-806-5690 to inquire about urgent same day appointments. This number does not have a voicemail so please continue to call until you can get through.
Please note: GRH is not able to expedite test results for any reason including travel, medical procedures or visitation requirements at long-term care or retirement homes.
St. Mary’s General Hospital COVID-19 Testing Centre
- Location: 50 Bathurst Drive, Unit 1, Waterloo
- Hours of operation: 9 am to 5 pm
- Call 519-885-9517 to schedule an appointment
Cambridge-North Dumfries Community COVID-19 Assessment Centre (run by Cambridge Memorial Hospital)
- Location: 215 Holiday Inn Drive, Cambridge
- Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (Monday to Friday), 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (weekends and holidays; closed December 25)
- Appointment required. To schedule or cancel an appointment:
- Book online at myvisit.cmh.org or call 226-895-1050
Download the COVID Alert App today!
The Government of Canada has launched a free app called COVID alert, that can help us break the cycle of infection. The app works by letting people know of possible exposures to COVID-19 before any symptoms appear. The more people who download the app, the more effective it will be in stopping the spread of COVID-19. The app does not obtain or use your personal information. Your privacy is protected.
To learn more about the app visit www.canada.ca