We're excited to offer you the opportunity to grow your allied health career at Grand River Hospital. Grand River Hospital (GRH) is one of Ontario’s largest community hospitals, with 15 clinical programs and services including regional programs for cancer, renal (kidney) care, and stroke. We provides innovative, quality care to more than 700,000 residents of Waterloo Region and Guelph Wellington.
In 2020, GRH placed over 150 students in roles ranging from Allied Health professions to non-clinical placements like Human Resources. As a student learner at GRH, you will receive an unparalleled and highly sought-after learning experience.
Learn more about GRH by following us on social media!
Opportunities for our Allied Health students include placements in:
- Cancer care specialties such as medical physics and radiation therapy
- Child Life Specialists
- Dietetic Internships
- Lab specialties
- Medical imaging specialties
- Music therapy
- Occupational therapy (Read about our OT team here)
- Physiotherapy (Read about our physiotherapy team here)
- Personal Support Workers
- Social work
- Speech language pathology
- Spiritual care
- Recreation therapy
- Respiratory therapy
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I arrange a placement?
If you are interested in obtaining a placement at GRH, ask your academic coordinator or placement office to contact GRH’s Professional Practice Coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I do once my placement has been confirmed?
If your placement at GRH has been confirmed by your school, you will need to complete the pre-placement requirements outlined in the Student Welcome Package.
As part of your registration you will be asked to complete:
- Online mandatory eLearn training through our Edge portal
- Proof of immunization
- Respiratory fit testing (N95). Please ensure you check the GRH N95 types as you will need to be fitted to a size we stock. You can find this information in your GRH student package.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening Criminal Record Check
- Cerner Health Information System Training. Please speak to your supervisor to find out if you are required to complete Cerner training.
Please note: Packages should be submitted 4 weeks prior to your start date. If this isn’t possible please ensure you speak to the Professional Practice Coordinator. Placements can’t begin until all pre-placement requirements have been completed and you have been cleared by the Professional Practice Coordinator.
I have a question about my placement schedule or other placement details
If you have specific questions about your placement regarding your schedule, dress code, etc. please contact your GRH supervisor for additional details.