Here is how we recommend family physicians proceed with referrals to mental health and addictions.
If a patient's condition is life threatening and/or they are highly unstable and/or unsafe, please send them to the emergency department using police/ambulance if necessary. The process may include:
- ER physician assessment;
- Crisis clinician assessment;
- Review with psychiatrist on call; and
- Disposition as appropriate.
If same day intervention is required:
- Inquire if your patient has a crisis plan;
- Inquire if patient has a therapist/counselor who can be contacted;
- Contact Here24/7 at 1 844 437 3247(Here247) and TTY: 1-877-688-5501; and
- Contact the psychiatrist on call.
For non-urgent cases
Please fax a completed referral form to 519-749-4271.
For more information, please call 519-749-4310.